Wednesday, May 03, 2006

To Online Date Or Not.....That is The Question

Apparently I a missing out on a new-ish fad. Online dating. What use to be taboo is now cliche, everyone is meeting online these days. I tried it a few times with out much success, for the following reasons:

1) I am not good at describing myself at all.

Yes,I realize everyone says that but I truly think I can't describe myself. I always ask my friends to do it for me. Otherwise my personal description would read like this: "Walking Contradiction-loves heels and big trucks, action movies and make-up. Smart sometimes, tries to be funny. " See my point, absolute disaster.

2) I think I am more presentable in person.

Though I write this blog, its my form of therapy- I don't have to worry whether someone is going to like it or me. I am not sure that the stuff I write here would have me beating men off with a stick. The exact oppisite really, they would be concerned about becoming blog fodder. I am an expressive person and e-mailing is the form of media that doesn't shows that.

3)The result I had from prior tries makes me weary.

It was like The good, the bad and the ugly. And I think its in direct relation to items #1 and #2 above.


But it seems that despite my last foray into online dating, things have changed. Dr.Phil now presides over Match.com, giving us tips on how to date. Eharmony has a 29 dimension personalty test that claims to find us our true loves. Not to mention that other 9 million sites aimed at helping us find the right person.

What ever happened to meeting in the produce eisle, at a bar, or standing in line for coffee? Does everyone hide behind their computers so much that online dating has replaced meeting people the old fashion way?

Tell me your thoughts

4 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger ~Moi~ said...

I just ended my eharmony subscription. It was a grueling personality test and yet I still dont think it was that accurate. My matches were ok but nothing great - The matches from the states seemed better but I live in Canada. I got quite a few matches while my friend hardly got any. She even got matched with divorced men with kids when she specifically asked not to. She also got a fake match that said junk? I think and it was just a bunch of letters no words! (and they say they screen the applicants?!) And my gfs and I and one other friend of a friend all got matched with the same guy! (we are totally different) and he requested to talk to us all and then never responded. So - just like match.com there may be some fake matches that are only "fishing" for you to sign up! You can do the whole application and see your matches - but you dont have to sign up if you dont talk to them. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for too - there are so many different sites that cater to different ppl. WE didnt have any luck with Eharmony. But I guess online dating is worth a try. Be careful and good luck!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Vixen said...

You will find the good, the bad and the ugly online. Unfortunately, in my experience more of the bad and ugly. I don't care what the guys on there say they are just looking for the hookup. I went on a few dates with a guy I found out was married (when his wife IM'd me and asked me to no longer contact him - I was GLADLY!)

I've done the online dating thing for the past two springs and last year literally went out with 18 guys to no avail, not one was a fit! I'm holding out hope that I'll meet my Mr. Right another way someday soon! Let us know what you decide.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Liz said...

madeindade and moi- welcome and thank you for your insight. I tried eharmony for awhile and their "personality" test, wasn't accurate for me either.

Vixen- you nailed it on the head, that is my one worry, the level of honesty or lack there of.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Cheetarah1980 said...

I'm still not into the online dating sites, but that doesn't mean I'm not into online dating. I think for a lot of folks we use those social network sites like friendster and myspace to meet people, without the stigma of paying a fee and filling out an online profile to find our match. People meet on websites all the time, so if you're really not feeling Match.com, E-harmony or their equivalents, join the Friendster/Myspace crowd and then you can tell people that the only reason you emailed that really hot guy who was on the friend list of a friend of a friend was because you had a "mutual friend" or some other b.s. reason like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home