Monday, October 02, 2006

If I want to do that many dishes I can go home...

This weekend I accomplished something. I went out of my comfort zone and volunteered to assist in a cooking class for Sur la Table. I did this with no friends with me, I knew no one. I am very proud of myself that I attempted something new. Sur La Table offers classes in a variety of different types of cooking: baking, ethnic food, knife skills, the list goes on. I assisted in the Everyday Meals: 60 Minute Meals. I had been speaking with Lynn the coordinator for a few weeks, signing up for classes I was interested in assisting and that my schedule would allow. Lynn seemed really nice and I was looking forward to helping out. However I was so not prepared for what I had gotten myself into. The Saturday class was practically an all day class, I was there from 8:45am to 2:30pm. First off since you arrive at the class before the store opens they instructed to go to the back door to get in. Ummm, a little tip, if you are going to give instructions like that, make sure that the back door is actually open and I am not forced to stand outside for 15 minutes knocking on a glass door until my knuckles are red, while the people who work there, walk by completely unaware of my standing on the other side of a GLASS door.

After gaining entry to the store, I walked in to the class and five faces stared at me. Now here is where things in my humble opinion go down hill. As the coordinator, Lynn should have immediately come forward, hard outstretched, welcoming me to the class. Instead I meekly said, “ Lynn?”, and then she comes forward. I have never volunteered before, therefore have no idea who anyone is or what they look like. Instead of introductions I was whisked off to receive the worst orientation of my life. To make a long story short, I felt (and I wasn’t the only one) that I was completely unappreciated. I was giving up my time to help out and all I felt were groans of frustration, because god forbid I didn’t know where things went or how the procedure was suppose to go.

The one highlight to the experience was the food (like you are shocked). The students made Grilled steak with green peppercorn butter, Polenta with Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce, Tequila Chicken salad, Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes, and Grilled Fruit with Crème Fraiche. I will post some of the recipes, let me know which ones sound good. But I did accomplish going out of my comfort zone, so it wasn’t a complete loss, even though I was thrilled with the experience.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or you could come over to my place and we could do them together... :)

Good for you Liz on stepping out of the zone, that's one thing I know I need to do more but never do. You seem to be doing it a lot lately and I hope you keep it up!

:)

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. The classes are a lot of work, but I usually had a great time!

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Retro Girl said...

Now that is admirable and sounds like a great experience (albeit the poor orientation and manners of your hostess) I'm proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone...but you do it pretty well...Something I need to do ALOT more myself...You are an inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home