Sunday, March 05, 2006

Didn't Your Mother Tell You....

I am the queen of being able to get things I want to take home to the car. Do they make it out of the car?? Eventually they do but time does pass. One particular item was a bottle of ketchup from Guatemala (yes I collect ketchup from around the world and no this isn't a normal hobby)that my boss (she is my supplier) brought me back from a her recent trip. While two of the other gifts made it in to my house, one didn't, the ketchup bottle. This ketchup bottle has been in my car about 3 weeks in the cup holder and my boss teased me about leaving it there. I claimed jokingly that it was a conversation starter, gotta love my quirks. Not more than 30 minutes later a co-worker in my office comes by to visit and he asked, " Why do you have a ketchup bottle in your car?". My boss and I start laughing, I didn't realize that it would become a conversation piece so quickly. I told him thru my laughter what it was. While he raised his eyes, clearly hinting that he thought I was a weirdo, he accepted my answer. The conversation was over or so I thought. At a work cocktail party this particular coworker came over to me again to bring up the ketchup bottle. He informs me what his opinion of a ketchup bottle in a girls car signifies.....that she is an eater. You heard me. His initial reaction to seeing the ketchup bottle in my car was that I like to eat. Now don't get me wrong I love food, the smell, tastes, textures...but the connotation I took from this conversation was a negative one. Like I was that chubby girl ( i.e. fat ) that couldn't help but eat. I was actually offended by this, but what was I to do other than respond with, " Well no, it was a gift.". How else do you respond in a room full of your co workers. As you can tell I am still annoyed by this encounter. I can't understand why he thought that a comment like that would be well received. I like a lot of women have issues with my weight and am very self conscious. I fight with my weight and always seem to take two steps forward and one step back. So a comment like that effects me. I mean what makes that comment ok. Think before you speak....it can save you from tasting your foot one to many times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home