Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Taking a Stand

Have you ever noticed that it’s much easier to complain about what we don’t like about ourselves, where we live, our jobs, people in our lives, then actually doing something about it? But it does nothing to rectify the situation. I know I am guilty of it. I complain about my weight and lack of gym motivation but you know what no one but me is going to change that. No one is going to come, pick me up from my house, drive me to the gym, and put me thru the riggers of a work out. Unless of course I pay them a lot and really I don’t have the kind of money. Some days I wish I did.

That got me thinking though about how if I want something to be different in my life I need to go out and do it. No one is going to do it for me. I am an adult despite the occasional tantrum and it’s all a part of growing up and being responsible. And some days it sucks being responsible but you know what, unless I want to end up a bum in the street or independently wealthy, the responsibility isn’t going to go away. Its life, suck it up and face it like the intelligent, independent, and accomplished woman that I am. I need to stop acting like a petulant child, making passive aggressive digs, and change what makes me unhappy. I am the only one in control of my happiness. So here is what I am going to do about it:

- Go to the gym at least 4 times a weeks, whether it’s the morning or evening. If it means I will be late to something, oh well, no one will die.
- I am going to start taking classes in a field that I find interesting. Either Interior design or travel. I will find a way whether it takes me a year or ten years.
- I am going to pursue a hobby and one that doesn’t consist of me sitting on my ass. Maybe photography….

I am sure over the course of my life I will come up with more. But it’s at least a start.

I urge all of my RF’s and IIF’s to take on something that makes you unhappy. Start small, you would be surprised how even the smallest change can make you feel better. Tell me what you are going to take on, I would love to hear about it.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Kate- I think tackling things one at a time is the best approach. It allows to you concentrate on it and not feel to overwhelmed. The sense of accomplishment feels so good once you have finally conquered it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home