Monday, January 09, 2006

The Monster Elevator


With the New Year comes cleaning, out with the old in with the new. At work same rule applies. I have had 7 boxes full of files sitting next to me for the better part of a month and a half. And today being the offcial full week of work, all my colleagues were here. Which means unsightly boxes needed to be gone. Great day to do it too, cream colored trousers and brand new suede chocolate brown pumps (Michele, I caved and got them). So I work on the second story and the safest way ( when thinking of trying to take a hand truck down stairs while piled with boxes) was to use the elevator. Have you ever noticed that in elevators the permit is expired. I can't remember a time when I wasn't in a elevator that had a current permit. Sort of scary to me. And our elevator at work is no exception. The current permit expired in 2003, almost a full two eayrs ago. But that was the least of my worries, there was a notice inside the elevator that there had been a recall on the locking mechanisms and that the elevator doors will open at random, whether you have reached your destination or not. They could open mid transit. As much as I am fan of seeing how things work, I do not, I repeat do not, want to see the inner workings of an elevator while I am in it. After I had returned from my first two trips my boss urged me to take my cell phone with me while traveling in the elevator, as known as the Death Trap- becuase on top of the expired permit, randomly opening doors, there is a permanent smell of exhaust fumes. So if you get caught you won't die from not being found, but you will from the toxic fumes.

2 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger Becky said...

I hate elevators. I have bad dreams that I am stuck in them all the time. I take the stairs, but I try to suck it up and brave it when i'm with people so they dont think I'm a chicken. Even though I really am a chicken.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

I'm terrified of elevators too but I just use the excuse that I'm trying to be in good shape so I have to take the stairs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home