Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Terrors of Texting

To follow up on my mini diatribe about texting, I actually dated a serial texter. It’s the same guy here. But to add to his less attractive qualities he wouldn’t call me everything was done via text messages. Now I am ok with a quick, “be five minutes late” or “On my way”. But we would have full conversation via text. Now it’s my fault for allowing the texting to continue but at first I thought it wasn’t a permanent personality flaw. I was wrong. It would start out at innocent texting, a “hi” here and there. But I soon learned that he conducted all conversions (at least with me) via text. When I tried to call him because I was tired of texting, he would text me back that he wasn’t picking up, he liked texting. We aren’t talking like “How was your day” type of conversations. We are talking about highly personal, inflection is everything type of conversations. Mind you the only time I didn’t get text messages is when he knew that he was in trouble for being, oh say, three hours late. There were nine million reasons that he and I didn’t work out and this was one of the smaller issues. But it would infuriate me to no end that he couldn’t have a phone conversation like a normal human being. Maybe its because he wasn’t human, hmmm I’ll have to ponder that.

But I am trying to spread the word that texting is meant for quick informational messages, it’s not a way to have conversation with people.

3 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Maybe his lack of proper phone etiquitte should have been a sign!! Run away!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Run far, FAR away!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

I have to admit...I love texting. In fact, I far prefer it to actually speaking on the phone. All of my friends know this about it, and it annoys them to no end. It's just that I talk on the phone ALL DAY at work, and the last thing I want to do is talk on it some more when I'm home...

BUT, let me say this: I am not a professional texter. I do not abbreviate, or substitute numbers for parts of words. I don't use "u" instead of "you," and I still use punctuation.

At any rate, I understand your problem with having a personal conversation via text. I think anyone who can't give you the actual voice and/or face time you deserve isn't worth your time. OBVIOUSLY. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home